If your home has been damaged by the recent floods in southeast Louisiana, you will need to submit a flood claim, if you have flood insurance.  Steps for submitting the claim and reaching agreement with an adjuster on the dollar amount for the covered loss or appealing denial of payment can be found here.

However, for the many homeowners who do not have flood insurance or are under-insured, financial assistance is available through FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program (“IHP”).  The IHP provides financial assistance and direct services, such as temporary housing, to those who have necessary expenses and serious needs as a result of a disaster or emergency, if they are unable to meet the needs through other means (like flood insurance).

Financial assistance through the IHP can be used to repair damage to a primary residence caused by disasters or to replace a disaster-damaged home that is uninsured or under-insured.  Examples of items covered for repair include:  foundation and roof; windows and doors; floors, walls, and ceilings; septic or sewage system; well or other water system; heating, ventilating, and air conditioning system; electrical, plumbing, and gas systems; and entrance and exit ways from the home, including privately owned access roads.

The IHP also offers Other Needs Assistance that can be used to provide financial assistance to replace or repair essential household items, such as furnishings and appliances.  Miscellaneous items purchased or rented to assist with recovery or cleaning efforts, such as dehumidifiers, can be covered as well.

Additional information on FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program and eligibility can be found here.