The Louisiana Medicaid Program has notified health care providers that they may be able to receive reimbursement for medical treatment provided to uninsured evacuees of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. To be reimbursed, the provider must have been enrolled in Medicaid as of August 24, 2005.
Invoices must be submitted by June 30, 2006. The period for which reimbursement is available is August 24, 2005 through January 31, 2006 for Hurricane Katrina evacuees and September 23, 2005 through January 31, 2006 for Hurricane Rita evacuees. Only medically necessary care will be reimbursed.
Louisiana’s plan for reimbursement is subject to approval by the federal government, because federal funds will be the source of some of the reimbursement. At present, seventy (70%) percent of the funds are available for reimbursement for care provided to Katrina evacuees. The other thirty (30%) percent is contingent upon the availability of funds from the UCC pool. Reimbursement for care provided to Rita evacuees is contingent upon receiving federal funds.